Friday, September 14, 2012

Helicopter Mom and the Back to School Night - mare

Sigh...the beginning of YET another school year!  We all know what that means...after shopping for school clothes and standing in interminable lines to buy school supplies at Office Depot, which everybody in the Island seem to do, we have yet to face another hurdle into the experience of parenting school children.

The School Open house(s).  How many of these have I attended over the years?  How many more will I have to attend?  I calculate that I have six -- count it SIX MORE YEARS of the same thing... It was simpler in Elementary school.  You didn't have to make too much of an effort.  Just show up in your child's classroom -- (they usually only have one) and you're set for the whole evening...just sit there and feign interest and make sure you poke around the books, look at classroom displays and shake the teacher's hand, thanking them for their bravery.

Now come middle school and high school -- THAT requires a little bit more work.  Whoever came up with the idea of having parents attend a mock up version of their child's daily school schedule of classes must've known what they were doing.  I get it -- pay back time for having us parents send our kids to give teachers a bad time...for one night at least, we the parents get tortured.

A friendly, chipper voice comes over the loudspeaker, "Good evening parents.  Welcome  to your child's school.  You have 10 minutes to visit each of your child's class.  The first bell will ring, signaling time for you to get to class.  The second bell signaling time for 'your' class to begin".  As if ushering the start of a marathon race, the bell promptly rings and the race is off.


Serious-faced parents intent on their mission, clutch their child's schedule like a protective shield.  Docilely filling the hallways in search of the right room number...

My dilemma:  two kids -- two different schools -- two different schedules -- a total of 15 teachers...in one hour.  I looked at the two pieces of paper in each hand, trying to figure out a game plan...Easy.  Veteran school Mom like me should be able to figure this out.  I sat through the first class period at my daughter's school.  Two minutes into the teacher's presentation, I realized I cannot possibly sit through 10 minutes times 15...Breaking school rules, I walked out before class ended, rapidly scanning the list of classes and teachers...

Prioritize...Visit the core classes, e-mail the rest of the teachers on School Loop with an apology and introduction.  I did my daughter's school in half an hour and drove quickly to the high school -- just as the first bell was ringing.  More labyrinth-like hallways.  Room 200-something is NOT on the 2nd floor. How logical is that? Whatever..."How is *** doing in your class?"  "Wonderful student...good kid!"




At home, the refrigerator door looking like a tactical chart with pieces of paper here and there -- prayer schedule for the month,  basketball practice schedule, dentist or doctor appointments, school papers to be signed but not yet to be turned in, upcoming school events, two separate school year schedules -- oh, and not to forget the Family Day Weekend up at the university which my other son attends...I put ALL these papers up where I can see them so I can be reminded and NOT miss anything...oh sure....uh,huh...right!

NEXT DAY:  My son does not belong in Algebra class.  "Mom, can you please talk to school counselor and get my class changed?  Just make sure I get second period Geometry, okay?"

Helicopter Mom on a mission.  Armed with last year's report card, my son's current class schedule and a copy of his CST scores, I drive first thing to his school.   8 am...I am looking at the school secretary, asking her what the procedure was for a class change.  She directed me to a wall that had two intake boxes -- requests for an appointment either for the Principal or the School Counselor.  "Have your student fill out the form and turn in to the box on the right".  She then proceeded to tell me that it was a process "that takes time.."

Well, given that information, I sat down and completed the form myself...writing in big bold letters that I -- the parent am requesting the change; I cited all supporting documentations.  The secretary, an affable Mom-like figure saw me hovering and hesitating over the in-box, wondering whether I should put in the completed  form -- "The counselor is in her office right now"... Was that permission for me to go inside and see her?

Yes, she is my son's academic school counselor.  She double-checked his CST scores for Algebra and re-affirmed his eligibility for the higher math class -- Geometry.  Class changed, 2nd period.  Mission accomplished!  Printed NEW schedule in hand, I head home with my prized trophy.

Next move?  Mulling things over in my head...three weeks into the semester, how much had he missed?  Does he need a tutor? When to arrange? Where?... Helicopter Mom moving on to the next agenda.

****************
Morsel for thought or taste:   (Movies) "Searching for Sugar Man"
                                                  "The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel"


                                               September is National Yoga Month

 

3 comments:

  1. moms are like the octopus and the cat, 8 arms, and many lives...they accomplish more than the ordinary person and still have time to write their blog! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, after much thought and conversation with my sister from Lake Tahoe, she corrected me by saying that I was actually talking about BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT...so I stand corrected.

    ReplyDelete