Thursday, September 13, 2012

Heirlooms Take-over

This year marks the year of accomplishments for me...I have always dreamt about doing a garden in the backyard, would be envious of seeing others proudly showing off their toils and spoils but always came up with one reason or the other why "it just wasn't the right time yet!"

Thanks to my oldest son who is a farmer-gardener, he one day started what I only talked about doing.  He bought the soil, the compost, started weeding, digging and prepping the soil.  He even made a box outside for the vegetables crops that would be our first.


Being "green" to the notion of organic gardening, I viewed this whole experience as an experiment.  Kale, chard, corn, tomato plant -- all went into that box.  What started out as a few sprig of growth here and there, eventually turned into VERY cramped and crowded quarters.  The corn definitely was not a happy camper.  There were other challenges to contend with -- snails and slugs and other bugs.  Pesticides, a definite NO!  Google searches and trips to the local nursery, asking here and there.  I was so looking forward to my kale but these green caterpillar-like creatures apparently loved kale more than I did...they ate to their hearts' content, lounging serenely while I looked at the miserly remnants of the dark green and purple stubs that were to be the contents of my morning green smoothie.



I also read that marigolds were wonderful deterrents to unwanted garden visitors...so well then, I added a couple of those to the vegetable box as well.  Outside the box, I had mint and other herbs growing on containers or pots...a surprise crop of red potatoes from the compost corner.  Was not too hopeful about my watermelon, asking myself why I even thought about planting those...my reward, a solitary fruit the size of a miniature bowling ball; the vine curiously yellowing -- looking exhausted, but with bright yellow flowers here and there as if defiant to the end.


Delightful visits from bees, ladybugs and a hummingbird...these and oh, the joy of the first harvest:  corn, chard, potatoes and heirloom tomatoes.  Hmmm...what next?  I would so LOVE to have some chickens clucking around back...

***********************
Morsel for thought or taste:  www.alamedabackyardgrowers.org
                                              www.alamedabackyardchickens

1 comment:

  1. checkout http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/AlamedaBackyardBeekeepers/ too. and for snails, we use sluggo at the community garden, it's for organic garden growing. each growing season it gets easier, and don't forget to rotate crops, meaning don't plant same thing in the same spot.

    ReplyDelete