Sunday, September 16, 2012

Everyday Holds a Miracle



I wonder how much Starbuck's and Peet's coffees or teas are consumed in a given day by people all over the United States...no doubt a staggering amount.  Not to mention the independent coffee shops, locally owned trying to make it amidst tight competition from the big name brand coffee places.

Since after Ramadan, I had vowed to myself to be a more "conscious" consumer of anything -- from water dripping out of leaking faucets to food bought at the grocery store, opting to eat out of my garden if I can, or support local growers by doing the Tuesday and Saturday Farmer's market.

I was really good about giving up the medium cup of Peet's soy chai latte' for one whole month -- did not miss it much, but as soon as that month was up -- well, let's just say some habits are hard to kick!
As most everyone, I had done mental calculations on how much I could save if I just refrain from indulging myself with that ONE CUP...what I could buy instead, if I don't do it -- how much I could help the environment by not consuming so much paper products from disposable cups...on and on.


I was up early today, shopping for my food contribution to the monthly public feedings our community does to less fortunate individuals in neighboring cities.  Having a mental conversation with myself about do I really need to get another Peet's chai today?  I rationalized that I was already doing a good deed by feeding the needy, why not reward myself with something that I like?  Shopping cart in tow, I circulated around the grocery store biding time really -- until I can come up with a decision -- should I?  Shouldn't I?

My inner desire won out and I strode up to the counter and did my usual exchange of pleasantries with the baristas..."Oh by the way," she said "we are doing away with these free cup of coffee punch cards -- you will no longer be able to use them.  We are converting to a new system, directly linking your purchases if you log and register with our store's website".  She quickly tore my free coffee punch card in half, handed me back my money and said' "we'll give you a FREE cup today...so you might as well order a LARGE soy chai latte' instead of your usual"... Miracles come in all forms, we just have to be open to receive them...and be humble and greatful.  I most certainly was!


... Later that morning, I stopped by Farmer's market to make my weekly fresh flower and fruit purchases.  I noticed a woman dressed in black -- she was intently looking at me and our eyes held each other for a minute.  Hmm...does she need some money?  She wasn't really talking to anyone, just standing there and walking ever so slowly with her walker...one side of her body stooped towards the left.  I did my rounds -- blood red chrysanthemums, red onions, green and purple plums and nectarines...I was walking out the same way I walked in to the market and there she was again...still looking at me.  I passed and stopped...something told me to turn around and speak to her...I am glad I did...

She recognized me, more than I did her...she said she knew me from the college...that my two children attended day care there, a boy and a girl...it turned out she was one of the young mothers I knew at the college...at least 10 years ago.  Her son who was younger than mines also went to the same childcare center and yes, I remember vividly how he looked -- and how she looked.  WOW!

"I had a blood disease and had a stroke...but I am glad I am still alive" she stoically said.  "Your son must be grown now" as I looked into her eyes -- "Yes, he is in *** attending school...You know boys, they are just into doing their thing...".  I asked her is she needed help.  She said she was waiting for
the Paratransit bus...that she lived in one of the houses by Farmer's market and that it was inconvenient for the street to be closed off to traffic on days she needed to get transport"... "I have been waiting for awhile now...".  I said good-bye to her knowing that I will probably run into her again now that I know who she is...

I walked away deep in thought ... Life is so full of blessings, do we even take the time to look?





2 comments:

  1. blessings come in many forms, first your coffee, and then as happenstance may be, a stranger who happens not to be. bless bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is truly the wonderment and beauty of life!

    ReplyDelete