Tuesday, October 2, 2012

People Watching



Nothing to do but look around.  Sure, I loaded my bag with two paperbacks, a journal and I-pad; not to mention my prayer beads and cellphone.  I was in it for the long haul  -- two hours minimum, I figured.  A roomful of people at the dental clinic...a perfect place to people watch.


There was the Hispanic mom with three kids, the boy about four years of age trying to put the blue disposable mask over his eyes instead of his mouth, walking up and down to pass the time.  No elevator music here...just the sound of an officious voice over the intercom, faceless, making announcements for this or that.  Dentists clad in blue smocks, scanning the roomful of seated patients -- bright smiles and warm handshakes once the proper person identified.  Nearby, two men engaged in an animated conversation with their hands -- signing.


My daughter, son and I stared hypnotized by the silent interchange in front of us, bursting with energy, from the rapid, graceful dance of the hands and fingers to the voiceless mouthing of words. "I really want to learn that!" -- uttered my 12 year old.  (She had been studying sign language on line, inspired by the show "Switched at Birth").   Many other voices in the background, a symphonic play of languages amidst movement of bodies, up and down --

Just as the waiting area was almost bursting to explosion with people of all sizes,ages and color -- after about 10 minutes or so it was as if an invisible vacuum cleaner had cleared  the room and left only a handful of people; serenely toying with their cellphones, reading books or just staring off into space lost in thought...


Other places to people watch?  Airports, cafes, parks...restaurants, lines at the post office, bank, check out counter...waiting, waiting, watching, watching...imagining.  Where else?

No comments:

Post a Comment