Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Day in a Life -- October 31, 2012

Amazing how one day just rolls into another -- lately, it feels that days whiz by so quickly I have a hard time distinguishing one from the other.  Each day, my mantra is to remind myself to slow down and relish the moment...each day I find myself catching myself -- almost hyperventilating, trying to quiet my rapidly pulsating heartbeat -- trying to accomplish my list of things to do.  Things to do that do not seem to diminish...each "X" for errand done, action item completed, meeting attended getting replaced by more of the same...


So I ask myself:  Do I need to crawl into a cave, get dropped off at some remote island or desert to get away from everything to have some peace and quiet?  Perhaps...but what is the next best thing?

Today I decided to just lay low.  Work at home, write some, read a chapter or two from the three different paperbacks laying neglected on the coffee table and watch the San Francisco Giant's Parade on TV.  Not understanding the finer points of baseball, neither having sit through any of this year's game, I can't say I am an expert or fan.  I can appreciate that the Giants are from the Bay Area and that whatever will contribute to the feeling of community and pride is a good thing.  I almost contemplated taking BART and being in the midst of the ticker tape parade -- just to say "I've been".  So much energy from the crowd, the newscasters and the returning ball players.

On the other side of the continent -- in New York and other East Coast states residents are far from celebratory.  Whereas thousands of San Franciscans enjoys the wet-free weather and the return of their heroes, New Yorkers are dealing with the reality of flooded subways, no electricity or heat, weather-battered homes -- some beyond repair and cold weather.  Today's news coverage spoke of the resiliency of the locals, how some despite ruined homes refusing to leave because they have nowhere else to go.  Many interviews with scholars and experts on global warming and its deleterious effects on natural calamities such as storms, hurricanes, earthquakes  -- and so on.  The familiar battle cry: our responsibility towards the planet and what are we going to do about it?

Leading to the election coverage.  Much ado about predicting who might be ahead -- Romney, Obama -- based on this or that survey or poll.  It seems like a half-hearted attempt to keep the public interested despite being upstaged by the Giant's victory parade on one side and the devastating catastrophe in the Eastern front.  Election for the presidency a few days away.  Oh, yes...for those that partake in the celebration, it is Halloween.

The TV droning along in the background, the back door wide opened allowing a glimpse of my garden and to top it all of off -- a steaming hot cup of Chai Tea, warm sweater and socks...What else can one ask for?  Now, I'm really feeling it!!!


2 comments:

  1. I will have a day like this next Wednesday...want to join me for tea and a book?

    ReplyDelete