Friday, January 25, 2013

The New Year and Intentions



I've always wondered why people make a big to-do about coming up with goals and resolutions the beginning of every calendar year.  Here it is 2013 -- day 23 of January, the month already half over.


Perhaps it's an innate human quality to strive to do better, to be more optimistic at the start of anything...signaling an opportunity for change. Many cultures other than the West, also pay tribute to the beginning of the year, the Chinese and Persian New Years are just two examples.  All celebrate the end of the old and the start of the new...

What are your goals for this year?

Mine's are very simple: to be present in what I am doing at the moment (translated: do away with multi-tasking), be conscious of my breathing (translated: slow down, I am not running a marathon),  enjoy the people around me more (translated: see the good in everyone even though they get on my nerves) AND the big one: SMILE MORE! (It takes more muscles to frown than smile).

Before I go to bed, I run my lists of things to be grateful for -- the opportunity to build community and be a part of one, to watch my children blossom into their own unique individuals, the promise of the continuance of life with each toddler or baby that is a new addition to my growing family.  I look at myself in the mirror and watch the grey creeping over my once dark mane, the corners of my eyes looking somewhat weathered from the many decades of challenges in my life...I can smile about those now.



It is much easier now that I no longer have to prove myself to the world -- my past life was centered around pleasing and serving everyone, catering only to myself as a last resort; losing myself in the process of diminished priority.  I think this is a pattern for most women with families and work.  Achieving balance is a very difficult task in a society where the pace is quite fast and achievement is marked by the number of things one is able to accomplish in as little time as possible.

And so we come back to intentions and resolutions.  I planted lavender in my front yard, a visual reminder for me to be mindful of things that are truly important...this lavender is the first thing I see when I open my front door, the last thing I see when I lock it.



"Travel light, live light, spread the light, BE the light!!!" -- Yogi tea bag

1 comment:

  1. yes, these are great motivations to creating a new year of growth and mindfulness. I have written down my intentions, some similar to yours, and mostly my goal is to take one day at a time and not live in the future. Life is precious, life is short, I'd like to take in each moment and cherish my family and friends, and not put things off. Our world today moves so fast, our families passed over with this and that, and on and on. For all the time and love I've given to my dear ones, there's so much more to give them in just taking each day one at a time and recognizing them in even the smallest way. And most of all taking time for me so that I can do what I can for my family & friends who need my support and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete